Saturday, September 5, 2009

Day 12 - Last day in Ireland

Rain Rain Rain! Whatever!!! I do not want to leave, but I really want to escape this crappy and depressing weather. I really want to see my squirty brown dog too. I miss her cute brown butt and sweet face. So last night we stayed in what is probably an original style B&B. It is where you are really IN the peoples house, not an annex that they have built on for customers. The "sitting area" was literally their couch and we were invited to watch tv with them. TV - we have not seen it for 2 weeks. We declined politely - as this would have just been weird. We went to the Abbey Tavern for a couple pints and dinner. It was very delicious. Slept well in our tiny twin beds and up for breakfast. Gee, I wonder why I feel so fat! Anyways, there is no breakfast area other than the home's dining room table. There is another couple there from Canada. I have had no coffee, and really not good at small talk anyways. Uncomfortable, to say the least. The little old man who lives in the house is quite a character. He tells us funny story's and asks us questions that he has already asked us a few minutes ago.. You could tell he was quite the entertainer in his time. We finish breakfast and it is back in the car to see two castles before we head to the Bunratty Castle in Shannon, our final destination. The 1st castle is not open. The 2nd castle was really cool and we found an old megalithic wedge tomb - Indiana Jones style. It was on our most awesome map, but not listed on the property grounds. As we were one of the only people there at the time, we asked one of the folks working there and he told us how to find it. He said it is not posted on their map/land because they didn't want kids climbing on it. It is as if they could care less about these thousand (or two) year old tombs. It is really strange. In the states, we would have it sectioned off, or in a museum and you would have to pay extra to see them. Instead they are in random cow/grazing pastures and you just go find 'em! Anyways, we then head to Bunratty. This would be a cool place if you came here 1st. It is like Disney Land and kind of cheesy but still fun. The castle is nice as it is furnished with really cool stuff. We checked into our hotel, had a pint at the pub and packed up our bags. We then took a nap as we were scheduled for the 845pm banquet at the castle. It is one of those pretend you are invited by the Earl to dinner, and you better watch your manners or you may end up in the dungeon kind of dinners. We know it will be cheesy, but decide to go. It is actually very entertaining. The main "actor" reminds us of our friend Roger. He is a total flaming ham! So off to sleep we go. We manage to get up and out of the hotel. We have our last experience driving in Ireland as we make it to the airport to check in the car. We have to explain that the hubcap is in the back of the car. We did not want to put it on as we were worried it would fly off again before getting back to the airport and then we would be charged for it. We make no mention about the flat and having to get a new tire. We didn't want them to look at the car too closely in case something else happened to it. Lisa and I both laughed, envisioning us pulling into the parking lot, closing the doors and have them all fall off, the wheels would spontaneously explode and the windows would implode. You get the visual - mostly like an old Seinfield episode - you know, Kramer in the parking lot with the AC....one of those kind of scenarios.  We escape the car rental return without being charged for anything being damaged - shuuueeeww! We have made it through immigrations and passport clearance and are sitting in the Shannon airport waiting for our flight. I have purposefully not checked the weather channel.....I don't even want to know! I can't wait to sleep in my own bed and see our dogs. I am truly going to miss the Guinness and the soda bread. I am frightened to step on the scale. I think the post Ironman recovery period has ended and it is time to find out how much residual damage I am still having. That will have to wait until sunday though. I hope you have been entertained. I will hopefully get some Blogger tips from my friends and make this a better site to read. I am sure we are now about 50weeks away from IM Canada 2010. It is really not that far away, the weeks fly by as does life. Whatever - I am not a philosopher - don't even got good english skills :=)

1 comment:

  1. Despite the rain, it sounds like you and Lisa had a great trip! I'd love to see more pics....Ireland is definitely on my bucket list. But maybe I'll try to find out when their "dry season" is!! lol

    ReplyDelete