Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day 2 - Dublin to Kilkenny

We both slept about 11hours. I did not get to run because it was 8am when we woke up. Too late as we wanted to get an early start. We headed down to breakfast, it was a very nice spread of cold and warm items. Was that sausage? A couple sat down at the table next to ours. Definitely an american white woman (loud) with a very quite black man (don't know if he was american or from africa) who seemed like he was a business man or dignitary. Lisa and I both thought of the movie "Pretty Woman" with Richard Gere and Julia Roberts. The woman was totally out of her element and trying VERY hard to please the guy, doting all over him. OK.

Off to the rental car company. Do we want the extra insurance? YES We have a hard enough time crossing the road on foot, let alone driving on the other side!

Lisa does great. The 1st hour or so is very nerve racking. I think she is going to drive me off of the edge of the road into the trees and fences. She thinks she is going to have a head on collision. Eventually, we both figure it out and Lisa really does great. We only miss two turns. (I am navigating so I am surprised there wasn't more). The 1st one was because I was upset, thinking I had left my garmin at the hotel and was not paying attention to the signs, the next was just not recognizing that the right hand "turn" was not a turn at all but the street we were supposed to be already on. Anyways, we realized straight away that I made a boo boo and turned around before driving on for hours lost! Lisa had to stop for Sheep running out and down the side of the road.

We visited Powerscourt, Glendalough, wicklow gap, ate in Roundwood (highest village in Ireland) and ended up in Kilkenny. (I think of Southpark everytime I say that name - "you bastard") We saw the Smithwick's brewery today and drank a pint at dinner. I love this place.

The best was at Glendalough - I keep pronouncing it glen-da-low but it is really glen-da-lock, Lisa keeps yelling at me. It is an old monastery founded by "St Kevin". He is proof that Ireland really is my homeland, and he & I must have been related. He liked to "talk to the animals" and liked to live secluded. He had a cave, called Kevin's bed, the ULTIMATE HIDEY HOLE that he lived in!

Planning our day tommorrow. We have to cut off half of the things that we wanted to see on our way to Cork and Kinsale. We are trying to make up for the day we lost :-( It is taking us longer to get places and do things. Oh well.

Irish accent lesson 102:
Phrase: "How you ladies keepin?"

No comments:

Post a Comment